A few days ago, news got out that Jamie Foxx is in talks to headline Oliver Stone’s in the works Martin Luther King, Jr. biopic. Of course we all remember Foxx’s Academy Award winning portrayal of Ray Charles in ‘Ray’, which was another biopic. Based off of his acting in that movie and just his acting skills period, I’m sure if he gets the role, he’ll do it justice.
If Foxx lands the role of Dr. King, he will not be the first person to portray him in a movie. There have been others to do so in movies for the big screen and the small screen. Below is the list of actors who have played Dr. King in a movie (physically, not voice acting)
- Jeffrey Wright – ‘Boycott’
- Levar Burton – ‘Ali’ (Foxx actually played Drew Bundini Brown, Muhammad Ali’s assistant trainer, in the movie)
- Dexter King (Yes there is a relation. He is one of Dr. Kings sons) – ‘The Rosa Parks Story’
- Robert Guillaume – ‘Prince Jack’
- Clifton Powell – ‘Selma, Lord, Selma’
I’ve only seen two of those movies but I’m still going to go out on a limb and say Foxx’s performance would be the best out of the bunch. My opinion should be taken seriously because I clearly have done my research…clearly. Anyways, leave a comment below and tell what you think about the casting of Foxx as Dr. King (if the “talks” work out).